July is PCOS Awareness Month

http://media.inktastic.com/thumbnail/462/480/45/45480462.1.png

 

What in the world is PCOS?

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  It is a condition that is different in every women, but it caused by cysits in the ovary.  PCOS causes irregular periods, problems with blood sugar, and infertility.  PCOS is the number one reason for infertility in women, including me.  

I was diagnosed at the age of 21, which was good, I was able to educate myself regarding the disorder and how to help my body.  I have cysts rupture about once a year, they hurt really bad, but we now know there is nothing that can be done but letting it happen (we learned this after a few trips to the ER with no help).  I sit on a heating pad for a week and all is well. 

I was very lucky to get pregnant, with the help of infertility medication, Clomid and Metformine. It was not so much fun, the mood swings, hot flashes, and cramps, but completely worth it to get our daughter.  We think taking the medication, as well as other factors like Gestational Diabetes, and problems during the birth, made for a perfect storm causing my Occipital Neuropathy and Chronic Migraines.

There is not much in the way of a cure for PCOS, only dealing with the symptoms.  The more aware people are of PCOS and what it is, the better the research and management of the disease. Even though PCOS is not life threatening, infertility is one of the most heart breaking experiences a women (and couple) can have!  It is so hard, if you are dealing with infertility hang in there and reach out to others who understand what you are going through! July is PCOS Awareness Month, help get the word out!

 

ella sue Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template